PROGRAM/DEPARTMENT SUMMARY: –
Gaza Sky Geeks (GSG) is Gaza’s leading co-working space, tech education hub, and startup accelerator, run by Mercy Corps, a nonprofit international relief and development organization with programs in the occupied Palestinian territories since the 1980s. Mercy Corps founded GSG in partnership with Google.org in 2011. We bring together online freelancers, outsourcers, and startup founders together under one roof to share ideas, best practices, code, and build brighter futures through the power of the internet. Gaza Sky Geeks’ overarching goal is to build an internationally competitive technology ecosystem in Gaza through online freelancing, outsourcing, and startups.
As a part of this, GSG is committed to ongoing learning and improvement of our activities. This is especially important as we are in the process of growing and expanding.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The world of technology moves quickly and we need to make sure that our programs meet the local needs along with the global marketplace. Through Mercy Corps, Gaza Sky Geeks will hire a Data and Learning Analyst. They will be responsible for helping GSG to continuously learn and improve our programs and ensure we exceed our success metrics. This means going beyond what the data says on the surface to really look at the impact of our activities on the youth who are engaged. We are looking for someone who is willing to challenge the status quo to help us ensure we are making a positive impact.
The Data and Learning Analyst will base either in Gaza or Ramallah and will be required to travel to all of the program locations. A significant amount of time will be spent in Gaza as this is where the majority of staff and program activities are located.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- The Data and Learning Analyst will be responsible for helping GSG to continuously learn and improve our programs and ensure we exceed our success metrics. This means going beyond what the data says on the surface to really look at the impact of our activities on the youth who are engaged.
- Working with program teams, ensure that data collection is efficient, effective, on-time, and as per Mercy Corps M&E guidelines and donor requirements – Act as the safeguard to ensure reliability, quality and timeliness.
- Keep our data safe, secure, organized and accessible by working with program teams and IT support, utilising existing tools as well as staying on top of potential areas of improvements. Conduct spot checks on data to confirm validity
- Ensure that information flows throughout GSG in a regular way that is useful for the audience, this includes managing the monthly dashboards as well as responding to other ad-hoc requests..
- Give program leads and senior management the tools, insights and knowledge to make the right decisions on a regular basis. This includes analyzing relevant business metrics to determine cost efficiency of activities.
- Work closely in collaboration with the different GSG programs to spot learning opportunities through running data analytics and deep dives regularly. Proactively identify opportunities for deep dives and follow up on whether action items have been addressed.
- Identify research opportunities that are impactful to the visibility of GSG as a leader within and contribute to the development of the local and global tech-ecosystem.
- Assist with the donor reporting process by compiling and reviewing reports and other communications.
- Prepare and deliver high quality presentations (written and in-person) on the achievements, data, and learnings with program management, donors and other external parties.
- Develop and improve our data science capabilities through the tools, visualizations and systems we implement. Proactively identify areas of improvement.
- Conduct qualitative research / data collection with program participants through focus groups and interviews.
- Analyze surveys, attendance, and other data to find areas for improvement in activities.
- Continually and proactively revisit the data collection tools and methodologies to ensure they will meet program, MC Global and donor requirements..
- Work with program teams to find ways to automate repeated MEL tasks.
- Provide relevant training to the program team to ensure accurate and precise collection of data.
- Work with GSG and Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Leadership to set the learning agenda. Participate in the design and conduct lessons learnt sessions to program pillars as appropriate and agreed with the supervisor.
- Any other duties as assigned
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: N/A
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: GSG CFO
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: GSG team, MEL Team
ACCOUNTABILITY TO PARTICIPANT AND STAKEHOLDER:
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our program participants, community partners, other stakeholders, and to international standards guiding international relief and development work. We are committed to actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- University degree in business administration, computer science, information and communications technology, or similar
- At least three years proven experience in data collection and analysis
- Experience in qualitative and quantitative data collection
- Excellent Excel and Google Sheets skills
- Experience with SQL a plus
- Excellent writing skills in English and Arabic
- Proficiency in MS Office, Slack, Google products (Drive, Docs), and Salesforce. GSG does not use email internally. We use Slack.
- Willingness to travel extensively throughout the West Bank and Gaza
- Willingness to work outside of normal business hours as required, especially evenings and weekends when program activities dictate
- Ability to work in a flat, fast paced environment with others who are passionate about supporting Palestine’s technology ecosystem
- Comfort with uncertainty and change—GSG is a small program but growing rapidly. Just like our program, we seek staff who are adaptable and pitch in on what needs to be done– even if not a part of one’s regular job description.
- Strong listening abilities to understand the needs of GSG’s tech community
- Superb attention to detail and ability to produce error free work
- Positive attitude, passion for your work, and high energy levels
- Proactive, get-stuff-done mentality that always prioritizes outcomes, not just inputs
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal, conflict resolution and negotiation skills;
- Excellent time and organizational management skills;
- Excellent ability to work under pressure and carry out multiple tasks simultaneously.
In support of our belief that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities we serve, we empower all team members to dedicate 5% of their time to learning activities that further their personal and/or professional growth and development
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have sustained global impact.
We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics
Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary-General and IASC. We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members. As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and to adhere to Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times. Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct elearning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
Qualified persons with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit an application online HERE no later than Wednesday, 02 September 2020
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Please apply a separate application for each position you are interested in.