Position Title : Diversity and Inclusion Intern
Position Type : Full Time Internship Contract
Location : Gaza Sky Geeks /Mercy Corps Gaza Office
Duration : Six Months with 3 Months’ Probation Period
شاغر وظيفي – متدرب في برنامج Diversity and Inclusion /غزة سكاي جيكس – ميرسي كور فلسطين
نبحث عن متدرب لديه خلفية ومعرفة في أساسيات الDiversity and Inclusion وقدرة سريعة على التعلم والالتزام بمتطلبات العمل خلال فترة التدريب مدفوعة الأجر والتي تستمر 6 شهور من ضمنها ثلاث شهور تجريبية
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions
into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
Gaza Sky Geeks (GSG) is Gaza’s leading co-working space, tech education hub, and startup accelerator, run by Mercy Corps, a nonprofit international relief and development organization with programs in the occupied Palestinian territories since the 1980s. Mercy Corps founded GSG in partnership with Google.org in 2011. We bring together online freelancers, outsourcers, and startup founders together under one roof to share ideas, best practices, code, and build brighter futures through the power of the internet. Gaza Sky Geeks’ overarching goal is to build an internationally competitive technology ecosystem in Gaza through online freelancing, outsourcing, and startups.
In support of our mission, GSG has cultivated a network of over 400 international mentors who provide remote and in-person mentorship to our startup teams, coders, and freelancers. We also have a vibrant network of individual supporters, donors, and GSG champions around the world. This role would be the focal point in executing a communications strategy to keep this network informed and engaged with Gaza Sky Geeks.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
We are seeking an energetic, responsible, passionate intern to join our growing D&I team. In this position, he/she will be expected to learn the ins-and-outs of our regular work/program implementation. The intern will be focusing on helping on implementing the D&I interventions taking a lead on the logistics aspect.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assist in preparing information and materials for the monthly webinar/event along with following up with the speakers before and post webinars.
- Help the implementation of D&MEL FGD/research /mapping / I and be responsible for time management and logistic support.
- Support create an inclusive environment that encourages proactive behavior internally and externally
- Ensure that all the D&I related documents are updated and well documented.
- Prepare and maintain a monthly internal document about D&I activities.
- Responsible for calling/following up with program participants/collecting data as needed.
- Help on preparing the procurement/financial paperwork as needed.
- Help with the communication team for girls program curriculum archiving, classifying and uploading to the GSG digital library/drive.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: Not Applicable
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Diversity and Inclusion Coordinator
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: Community team, and MEL team
Accountability to Participants and Stakeholders
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our program participants, community partners, other stakeholders, and to international standards guiding international relief and development work. We are committed to actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Team members, service contractors, volunteers, and interns are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Minimum Qualification & Transferable Skills
- At least one year of proven work experience in the realm of community development, program management, or tech ecosystem building.
- University Degree in Business Administration , Business development, English or any other related field
- Has an emotional intelligence and ability to navigate sensitive situations.
- Excellent oral and written English skills.
- Lead or volunteered in any community based activities or initiative (Preferable if D&I related).
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work with diverse groups.
- Excellent time management.
- Passionate about Diversity and Inclusivity.
- Ability to improve and evolve while working on different aspects.
- Can work under pressure and flexible on working out of the regular working hours if needed.
- Ability to work in a flat, fast paced environment with others who are passionate about supporting Gaza’s technology ecosystem.
- Comfort with uncertainty and change—GSG is a small program but growing rapidly. Just like our program, we seek staff who are adaptable and pitch in on what needs to be done.
- Strong listening abilities in order to understand the needs of Gaza’s freelancing community and
GSG’s tech community.
- Superb attention to detail.
- Positive attitude and passion for your work.
- Proactive, get-stuff-done mentality that always prioritizes outcomes, not just inputs.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal, conflict resolution and negotiation skills.
- Excellent time and organizational management skills.
- Up to date knowledge of technical and industry developments.
- Excellent ability to work under pressure and carry out multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Has experience related to Training Field, either as an organizer or a Trainer, being An alumni of GSG technical training is a plus
In support of our belief that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities we serve, we empower all team members to dedicate 5% of their time to learning activities that further their personal and/or professional growth and development
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have sustained global impact.
We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics
Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary General and IASC. We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members. As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and to adhere to Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times. Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct elearning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
Qualified persons with disability are highly encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit an application online HERE no later than Wednesday, 16 June 2021
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Please apply separate application for each position you are interested in.