About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is powered by the belief that a better world is possible. To do this, we know our teams do their best work when they are diverse and every team member feels that they belong. We welcome diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be stronger and have long term impact.
About Gaza Sky Geeks
GSG’s mission is to provide Palestinians with all the resources needed to earn high-quality incomes online or using technology, with the ultimate vision of being a best-in-class tech education provider in the Middle East and a globally competitive tech sector in Palestine.
GSG was launched by Mercy Corps and Google in 2011 on the premise that Gaza’s high-speed fiber internet could overcome politically imposed restrictions on the movement of people and goods. Today, GSG provides leading coworking spaces and tech community hubs, and runs Palestine’s top pre-seed startup accelerator, coding and digital marketing academies. GSG is not just a center though: one of our most valuable assets is the inclusive, peer-led education community that GSG has fostered across Palestine over the past decade.
As the Manager of the Talent Matching Team (TMT) at GSG, you will be deploying all your commercial creativity to monetize a top regional tech education offering that has historically been heavily subsidized by donors. You will lead a revenue-generating sales and client success team supporting GSG’s tech education programs. Your most basic objective is to place our graduates into entry-level tech jobs with local and international companies on a fee per placement model but also exploring other opportunities, such as developing innovative internship programs with corporate partners. You will manage a growing portfolio of 20+ hiring partners in Palestine, the Gulf region, Europe, and North America to ensure ongoing satisfaction and pipeline of repeat business, while leading efforts to spearhead new partnerships and opportunities. You will champion Palestine to the global tech industry as a source of top-tier talent and move mountains to create high-value, well-paying job opportunities for one of the most besieged but talented communities in the world.
In the longer term – under the guidance of the GSG Director and in collaboration with the GSG Freelancing Program Manager – your role will entail strategizing the expansion of our commercial talent offerings to include technical talent from GSG’s pool of Freelancing Academy alumni (designers, iOS/Android developers, translators, etc.) as well as vetted technical talent from the broader Palestinian tech community. You will also work with Mercy Corps executive leadership and innovation team members to analyze pathways to establish the TMT as an independent social enterprise or distinct entity external to Mercy Corps that can serve as a self-supporting and pay dividends to sustain GSG’s non-profit, education and community-building work.
TALENT MATCHING – LEADERSHIP AND STRATEGY
- Establish clear priorities and measures of success to monetize GSG developer placement as a mechanism to sustain GSG’s educational programming and be a vehicle for high-value job opportunities for Palestinian developers
- Provide guidance, oversight, and coaching to Job Placement Coordinator who manages several client relationships and new leads, provides career counseling to developers, and supports on new business development and marketing
- Provide guidance and oversight to Code Academy Technical Lead who supports TMT with technical expertise, client relations, and technical program design
- Lead strategy to expand TMT team with key new hires
MARKETING & NEW BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT
- In coordination with GSG Communications & Brand Team, lead the development of a clear marketing strategy to publicize TMT widely and conduct effective marketing campaigns and sales efforts
- Proactively seek out opportunities to market TMT (e.g. international tech conferences, convening local tech ecosystem, identifying valuable online channels/platforms/forums, etc)
- Seek out partners (e.g. startup hubs, corporate innovation centers, etc) to pitch and design internship programs to place cohorts of graduate developers into bespoke entry-level, short-term placements
- Develop diverse and succinct ways to communicate the value and processes of working with GSG to new leads in order to convert them into TMT clients
- Interface with clients to monitor progress of their GSG hire and identify areas GSG can continue to add value to them
- Provide oversight to the recruiting, hiring, and contracting process with an eye for streamlining processes and communications
DEVELOPER / CODE ACADEMY COMMUNITY RELATIONS
- Provide oversight to career counseling function of TMT and Code Academy, ensuring the support we provide to developers in their job search and application processes with employers is effective, targeted, and results-oriented
- Ensure clear and proactive communication to developer community of key updates related to policies, processes, and expectations of getting placed with TMT network of hiring partners
- Participate in delivering mock job interviews mid-way and at the end of the 6-month Code Academy program to currents students to support with job readiness training
- Oversight of maintenance and optimization of dashboard to monitor TMT key performance indicators and recommend/lead adjustments based on results
- Drive necessary processes to track new metrics critical to understanding TMT progress
- Document, implement, and iterate on key internal processes to streamline our work and ensure efficient use of resources
CODE ACADEMY TRAINING IMPROVEMENTS
- Relay key learnings and insights from clients to CA curriculum staff to ensure training program is on a consistent path of improvement to graduate the best junior developers possible who can seamlessly integrate with top global tech teams
- Oversee iterations of ‘employability skills’ curriculum to integrate key learning objectives related to upskilling developers’ professionalism and job hunting skills
- Job Placement Coordinator
Reports Directly To: GSG Director
Works Directly With: GSG Code Academy Team, GSG Communications Team, GSG Freelancing Team
Accountability to Participants and Stakeholders
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our program participants, community partners, other stakeholders, and to international standards guiding international relief and development work. We are committed to actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Minimum Qualification & Transferable Skills
- MBA and/or 5+ years of experience in talent matching/recruitment, tech education provision, or other relevant field
- Experience in sales and/or service monetization strategies in business environment is a plus
- Direct experience in a leadership position (ideally establishing) commercial enterprises in frontier markets
- Experience in and a strong network in the global tech industry
- Strong experience in conducting quantitative, qualitative, and financial data analysis
- Previous experience leading teams (ideally multi-cultural teams) and providing mentorship to staff to enable their growth
- Adept with online tools for community/customer management (e.g. Hubspot, Salesforce, etc.) and Google office tools
- Excellent English written/verbal communication (as in excellent for an already native English speaker); Arabic language skills not required but are a big plus
- Previous work experience in the Middle East preferred; may be substituted with experience in other frontier markets or resource constrained environments
GSG is a highly familial, fun, challenging, rewarding, and rigorous team that operates in one of the most challenging geographies on the planet. This team is also at an inflection point: we are trying to transition from donor funding to commercial revenue streams. The TMT’s monetization efforts are the tip of the spear in that effort over the next five years.
The ideal candidate is familiar with technology and entrepreneurship, and eager to have positive social impact in a challenging, but hugely inspiring place. In addition:
- You are a strong believer of the tech sector’s ability to change the future of emerging markets.
- You are looking for a professional challenge and extremely motivated and excited to deliver meaningful, impactful job opportunities that otherwise wouldn’t exist in Palestine
- You have impeccable attention to detail, and ideally have familiarity planning and executing initiatives in complex environments
- You are a strong verbal and written communicator with a high level of self-awareness and empathy
- You are analytically rigorous and comfortable manipulating data
- You love working on small teams, you learn rapidly, and are comfortable wearing many different hats, even if they have to be put on at 11:00pm or 5:00am
- You are a proactive, natural problem solver always thinking several steps ahead, and try every possible solution before raising any issue with your boss
- You have strong emotional intelligence and love building relationships. You are highly perceptive and exercise good judgement in uniquely complex political and social situations that involve diverse stakeholders.
- You are flexible and quick to adapt to new challenging situations. You do not flinch at power outages or border crossing delays.
- You are familiar with the Middle East or another developing part of the world, and a strong believer in the tech sector’s ability to change the future of frontier markets.
- You are passionate about the Palestinian cause and being an agent in driving concrete, positive change for Palestinians
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
At present, the position may be based in Jerusalem or Ramallah, but requires weekly multi-night visits to Gaza and day trips around the West Bank to be with team members. With COVID19 travel restrictions regularly changing between Israel, Gaza and the West Bank, more remote management of a large team in Gaza may be required initially. In a non-COVID world, occasional travel to regional locations (Jordan, Dubai, etc.) and the possibility of others (United States, Europe) is required to represent GSG at regional meetings, Mercy Corps HQs, and industry conferences/events.
In Jerusalem and the West Bank, there is individual accommodation with full freedom of movement and excellent amenities. In Gaza there is shared accommodation with limited solo freedom of movement depending on the security situation.
In support of our belief that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities we serve, we empower all team members to dedicate 5% of their time to learning activities that further their personal and/or professional growth and development
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have sustained global impact.
We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics
Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary General and IASC. We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members. As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and to adhere to Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times. Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct elearning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
|Job Category||IT, Management|