Communications & Brand Manager
About Gaza Sky Geeks:
Gaza Sky Geeks (GSG) is Gaza’s leading co-working space, tech education hub, and startup accelerator, run by Mercy Corps, a nonprofit international relief and development organization with programs in the occupied Palestinian territories since the 1980s. Mercy Corps founded GSG in partnership with Google.org in 2011. We bring together online freelancers, outsourcers, and startup founders together under one roof to share ideas, best practices, code, and build brighter futures through the power of the internet. Gaza Sky Geeks’ overarching goal is to build an internationally competitive technology ecosystem in Gaza through online freelancing, outsourcing, and startups.
What we’re looking for:
As the Communications & Brand Manager, you promote GSG’s mission, programs, services, and community of entrepreneurs, developers, and freelancers that span Gaza and the West Bank. You will develop the overall GSG communications strategy and brand guidelines. You will lead an existing team comprised of social media content writers, a graphic designer, and a filmmaker. You are responsible for their management and professional development. You work closely with the program teams and leadership to shape GSG’s image and values, as well as the appropriate methods to communicate them to the public. Your responsibilities include identifying communication channels and marketing opportunities and developing content to be disseminated via social media, websites, newsletters, press releases and any other distribution channels.
You understand that GSG is a unique organization with a diverse set of stakeholders. Our target audiences are local and international and include:
- Our existing community of entrepreneurs, freelancers, and developers
- Prospective community members and program applicants in south Gaza, Gaza City, and various cities in the West Bank
- Partners in the local Palestinian tech ecosystem
- Government and private donors
- Our network of international supporters and mentors
- Commercial clients for our Code Academy and Freelance Academy graduates
- Potential investors for our startups
- Commercial clients/projects for Skylancer commercial arm functions
- And more!
We are also in a phase of growth, with our main hub operating in Gaza City and newer, satellite hubs getting off the ground in Khan Younis, Khalil, and Nablus. You are responsible for ensuring our communications strategy caters to the multi-faceted nature of GSG’s target audiences and objectives.
Palestinians in the West Bank, Gaza, or Jerusalem are welcome to apply.
- Build and manage a high performing communications team by providing leadership, management, and mentorship to professionally develop an existing team of social media content writers, a graphic designer, and a filmmaker
- Create communication and marketing strategies for GSG programs, launches, events and promotions which are based in Gaza and the West Bank for local and international audiences
- Reflect a deep understanding of the various GSG programs as well as the context of the various GSG locations in Gaza and the West Bank in communication and marketing strategies
- Have a strong understanding of social media / communications analytics to guide team members on producing compelling reports that inform strategy
- Develop event management and internal guidelines to ensure consist brand usage and promotion in all GSG geographies and communications
- Develop and improve processes and tools for efficient and effective workflows for the communications team
- Provide strategic counsel to GSG Director and Program Leads on communications approach, messaging and positioning, and influence internal stakeholders as needed to ensure communications are compelling and aligned to the needs of the various stakeholders and GSG objectives
- Drive proactive pitching, reactive handling and active monitoring of media to ensure that GSG’s messages are advancing
- Monitor online reputation and manage responses, ensure accurate external communication and anticipate risks
- Serve as a focal point to deliver compelling and informational verbal presentations to ‘VIP’ external stakeholders such as donors and Mercy Corps leadership
- University degree in Business, Marketing, Journalism, Media or any other related field, with a demonstrated record of interest and contemporary knowledge in his/her field.
- 5+ years of communications, brand management, or marketing experience – in house or agency, business marketing, journalism or elsewhere. Experience working in the Palestinian tech sector is ideal but not essential.
- A mission-driven and natural leader who has experience managing teams and mentoring/coaching junior staff to grow
- A high level of emotional intelligence and empathy
- A humble, proactive, and curious approach to learning
- Proven ability to develop and deliver strategic communications plans – successful candidate should be able to demonstrate successful outcomes from communications activities where they have conceptualized, developed and executed a communications plan.
- Genuine communications savvy – you must have strong public relations skills, and an excellent ability to verbally communicate effectively in English and Arabic
- You have solid copy-writing and editing skills in English and Arabic
- You have a strong background in content marketing
- Superior presentation / advisory skills – clear, concise thinking and sufficient gravitas to deliver meaningful advice to senior leaders on communications strategy in a timely fashion
- Strong project management skills – must be able to organize work in a methodical and rigorous manner but equally comfortable in a deadline-driven, fast-paced environment.
- Impact player – you must be a strong self-starter who is willing to make their mark in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial organization.
- A track record of pioneering strategies and techniques for communicating information to audiences in a way that inspires, informs and galvanizes action
- Proven experience of having a measurable, outcomes-based approach to marketing
- You must be able to multitask and work well under pressure
If interested, submit an application online here.
Deadline to apply is 11:59pm on 21 March 2020. Due to the covid-19 crisis, the timeline to hire this individual has been postponed. The application will remain open and we encourage interested individuals to apply. Interviews and hiring will take place later in the year on a to-be-determined timeline. We will email applicants with details on the updated timeline as soon as we are able to.