Startup Academy Program Assistant
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
● Support the Startups Program Manager with the planning, designing, execution, and outreach for the academy and continuously reflect on the program progress and deliverables to improve future cycles of the program
● Build strong connections with actors in the ICT sector in Gaza, including ICT companies and key team members in those organizations
● Ensure that the startups’ academy program documentation and program minimum standards are consistently up to date and new lessons learned and adjustments to the program design are reflected
● Organize a large program debriefing and learning session after the completion of each module to reflect on the needed adjustments, best practices and models that need to be adopted in upcoming modules and the new cohorts
● Plan and participate in regular check-in meetings with all participants to ensure continuous commitment in the program and support participants’ progress and advancement in the curriculum and embed continuous learning in their culture
● Providing ongoing follow-ups with participants on program structure, delivery, and outcomes in the form of surveys, roundtable discussions, and 1:1 meeting to ensure our program is delivering the highest value for people
● Support alumni that have finished the program with seeking continuous learning, connection with mentors, and understanding their challenges
● Integrate community building and peer-learning into every aspect of GSG programming as it is continuously refined
● During the program, participate in every regular meeting, workshop, and events to assess quality, facilitate discussion, document action items, and support accountability to meeting reasonable requests on time
● Work with the GeeXelerator program team to share experiences and learnings between the Startup Academy and GeeXelerator
● Support startups program manager and Gaza MEL manager to setup robust monitoring, evaluation and learning program quality system to foster program learning and best practices across the startup academy program
● Work cross-functionally in coordination with other Mercy Corps departments including Finance, Procurements, HR, Logistics, Security, Communications, and Resource Development
● Identify new ways to attract great talent and expertise to GSG’s community and pipeline of the program (including technical expertise and management expertise)
● Increase your own knowledge of startup topics, particularly in the areas of customer research, financial, legal, and product development issues
● Model professional etiquette, communications, processes, and workflow management for participants as well as other GSG staff (e.g. demonstrate 100% reliable use of a calendaring application, note taking and following up on action items, punctually arriving in the office and starting meetings on time, professional address of startup teams and other staff members)
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: Not Applicable
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Startups Acceleration Manager
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: GSG Mentorship Coordinator, Logistics Coordinator, Community
Engagement Coordinator, External GSG volunteers, MC finance, MEL, and procurement
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
1. University degree in Business, Marketing, ICT, or any other related field, with a demonstrated
record of interest and contemporary knowledge in his/her field.
2. Excellent speaking and writing skills in both English and Arabic
3. Very good understanding of entrepreneurship in MENA region and globally
4. Experience in Customer Research, Marketing and Product Launching in a startup context
5. Strong written and verbal communication skills.
6. Resilience, high problem-solving abilities, attention to detail and a great sense of humor.
7. Proficiency in MS Office, Slack, Google products (Drive, Sheets, Docs). GSG does not use email
internally. We use Slack.
8. Strong understanding of the social, political, and economic context of the Gaza Strip.
9. Willingness to work outside of normal business hours as required;
1. Ability to work in a flat, fast-paced environment with others who are passionate about supporting Gaza’s technology ecosystem
2. Comfort with uncertainty and change—GSG is a small program but growing rapidly. Just like our program, we seek staff who are adaptable and pitch in on what needs to be done.
3. Strong listening abilities in order to understand the needs of Gaza’s startup community and GSG’s tech community
4. A high degree of self-introspection and leadership potential
5. Superb attention to detail
6. Positive attitude and passion for your work
7. A proactive, get-stuff-done mentality that always prioritizes outcomes, not just inputs
8. Strong interpersonal, conflict resolution and negotiation skills;
9. Excellent time and organizational management skills;
10. Excellent ability to work under pressure and carry out multiple tasks simultaneously.
Qualified persons with disability are highly encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit an application online HERE no later than
Thursday, 13 February 2020
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Please apply separate application for each position you are interested in.